Thursday, July 26, 2007

Damages - a new FX series starring Glenn Close

I finally watched the season premiere of "Damages" that I've been hearing so much about. (I recorded it on Tuesday.) Let me just say - this was the most suspenseful TV I've seen in a LONG time. I was on the edge of my seat - I mean couch - and was impressed with the creative writing with it's twists and turns. For a show that starts at 10 PM, it's worth staying up for. Even my husband who usually falls asleep midway through shows after an exhausting day at the office stayed awake. It's not predictable, formula TV - I had no idea what would happen next which kept me on my TV viewing toes.

Cadillac sponsored the premiere episode so the entire 1st episode was shown commercial free. Pretty cool. They had Glen Close standing with a Cadillac at the end talking about her sponsor, but it wasn't overkill.

At 60, Glenn Close is really hitting her stride with this performance. She plays this role with a lot of depth like a movie actress, not a TV actress and her character is multifaceted and intriguing.



Here's the promo on YouTube.

Other Reviews
Los Angeles Times describes Glenn Close as playing "the most beautifully vicious and complicated woman on any screen since Bette Davis stopped making movies."

Advertising Age's review titled, "FX Lets Glenn Close Loose in 'Damages'" describes the show as promising to be "a pretty heady ride -- from the opening scene of a bloody, terrified Ellen Parsons running in the street to the sound of 'White Stripes' very appropriate song "I Think I Smell A Rat" at the end. "

Showtime
FX Channel - Tuesdays at 10 p.m. for 13 weeks.

Description Of The Show
A legal thriller.
"The Devil Meets Prada" with a legal twist.

Makes Me Think Of
The "Firm".

Will I Tune In Next Week?
Absolutely.

No comments: