Monday, December 15, 2008

Flu Vaccine Mist Up the Nose

Yes, it's true - no more flu shots. There's now a FluMist nasal flu vaccine that's administered by spray rather than injection.

I was with my kid at her pediatrician's office and asked about getting a flu shot. I was all prepared to get my flu shot first to show her how brave I was and how it's over in a jiffy. But the doctor recommended a nasal flu vaccine and said the only side effect is a slight runny nose (and it's $5 more). No more shots? Are you serious? We're so in!

So my 3 year old daughter and I both took it up the nose. It didn't hurt at all. You just inhale it up through each nostril. Not one iota of discomfort even. I didn't even have a runny nose afterwards.

Another added benefit: It's also a good alternative for parents who are afraid of thimerosal, the controversial mercury-containing vaccine additive that's still present in flu shots.

And even better yet, it's injection free so my kid wasn't traumatized this time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's best to avoid 50,000 parts per billion of ethylmercury injected into the body -- especially when the EPA "safe" level for ingested water is 4 ppb.

But read the Flumist package insert -- viral shedding occurs up to 2 weeks after administration. In a clinical trial, a placebo child caught the vaccine-strain influenza from the classmates who received Flumist.