Friday, August 04, 2006

Artifact in my car

I was driving and listening to my car radio when I reached down and accidentally pushed the eject button on my stereo. Guess what popped out? An audio cassette tape! I haven't seen one of those in years. It was like unearthing an artifact. Nothing was written on the tape, so I couldn't wait to play it to see what was on it. It was EDM (electronic dance music). It must have been one of Uwe's old tapes. Anyway, it was just funny and it made me smile.

My daughter Astrid will grow up not even knowing what a tape is. Kind of like an 8 track was for me. By the time I was old enough to buy my own music, 8 tracks had gone the way of the dodo bird. The only 8 tracks I saw/held/played, were my dad's old 8 tracks. I marveled at how archaic, but kinda cool they were in the vintage sense.

1 comment:

Trailhead said...

Wow. And Astrid probably will have only the vaguest memories of compact discs too.

I remember my dad's 70's era gold convertible Cadillac had an 8-track player in it. I even remember gift wrapping an 8-track for him for Christmas one year. I have no recollection what it was, though.