Monday, June 16, 2008

Mothers and Daughters (the movie - Evening)

I just watched a touching little movie called, "Evening". It stars Vanessa Redgrave who plays the part of Ann, a 65 year old cancer patient on her deathbed as she thinks back upon her life, loves, dreams - and her youthful passions and later disappointments - as she goes in and out of morphine induced dreams of the past, to the present. "Ann is a woman whose ardent past allows her to face death while savoring the exhilaration that marked her full and passionate life." She has two adult daughters watching over her as her life draws to an end. The theme is "there are no mistakes in life."

The movie was adapted from the novel of the same name "Evening" by Susan Minot. I'm sure the movie only scratched the surface of the story and I can't wait to read the book.
As I listened to Natasha Richardson who plays the first born daughter, talking to her mother played by Vanessa Redgrave, I couldn't get over how much their voices sounded alike. I thought at first it was really good acting and voice coaching on her part. Then I read that she was playing daughter to her real life mother.
Another real life mother/daughter due that appear in the film
Mamie Gummer plays the younger version of her real-life mother Meryl Streep.
Other notable actors in the movie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie awhile back and was just enchanted with it.

Sphincter said...

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!