Yelp is a web 2.0 company that operates a social networking and user review website.
Yelp's founders, Jeremy Stoppelman and Russel Simmons, were early employees at PayPal. They received $6 million in initial funding and then an additional $10 million in their second round funding.
Seeing LA In A Whole New Way
It's peaked my interest in a lot of cool bars in LA that are off the beaten path -(like "The Prince" in K-town - I am so there!), not to mention all of the old & new establishments in my neck of the woods. Tonight for instance I'm going to check out 2 new bars within walking distance of one another on York Avenue in Highland Park that I found through Yelp (prior to going to dinner at the new southern restaurant "Larkin's" in Eagle Rock). One is called "Johnny's Bar" and the other is "Marty's." (Marty's is by the same owner of "Mia's" the sushi restaurant in Eagle Rock. The restaurant is named after his daughter Mia, and the bar is named after his son Marty.)
Good Ole U S of A
Yelp accepts reviews of any business or service in the United States. The most active cities include:
- San Francisco, CA — offers neighborhood filtering
- Boston, MA — offers neighborhood filtering
- Chicago, IL — offers neighborhood filtering
- New York, NY — offers neighborhood filtering
- Philadelphia, PA
- Washington, D.C.
- Seattle, WA — offers neighborhood filtering
- Los Angeles, CA — offers neighborhood filtering
- San Jose, CA
- Austin, TX
- San Diego, CA — offers neighborhood filtering
Yelp is a great site, and has a craigslist/San Fran/community feel about it. Very cool.